Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dukan Diet Phase 2 & Cauliflower Mashed Potato Recipe

If the phrase “you are what you eat” were true I would look like a loaf of bread, bowl of rice, or giant baked potato (butter and sour cream please!!!!).  Not eating carbs (with the exception of the 2T of oat bran daily) is not the easiest diet.  I find it most difficult on my Protein Only days.  I sit down to dinner with a chuck of meat in front of me, no side of veggies, no potato or rice to accompany the meal.  Do not get me wrong, I do not leave the dinner table hungry, I just feel as if something is missing when I'm eating my meal. 

My favorite side on the Protein Only days, to give me a break from meat, is fat free cottage cheese.  Also to help wash down the meat I have been purchasing a plethora of different types of mustard, one of the permitted condiments due to it having no carbs.  I never realized how many types of mustard existed beyond traditional yellow… Dijon, Spicy Brown, Horseradish, and my favorite-Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce (found at Trader Joe’s).  I’m also a huge fan of Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup as well as Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (being of fan of anything and everything spicy).  Condiments are key to lasting on this diet on protein only days. 


I feel I can be on this diet forever (MOST) protein and vegetable days.  These are the days I no longer feel as if I’m even on a diet.  My favorite recipe is Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes.  It looks just like mashed potatoes and taste pretty close.  Even if you are trying to reduce your carb intake this is a must try recipe. 

Cauliflower Mashed Potato Recipe
1 Head of Cauliflower
1 T Fat Free Cream Cheese
1 T Fat Free Sour Cream
½ t Chicken Bouillon
½ minced garlic
Salt
Pepper
¼ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese (Optional)


Bring a pot of water to a boil, cut cauliflower into chunks and place in boiling water for 6-8 minutes until tender.  Drain water and dry with clean dish cloth or paper towel.  In medium sized bowl mixed all ingredients with hand blender (immersion blender).  NOTE:  You can also use a food processor.  HOPE YOU ENJOY AS MUCH AS I DO!


When sitting down to dinner this recipe makes me feel as if I am eating a normal meal.  With the "mashed potatoes", side of vegetables, along with a nice portion of lean protein I leave the table feeling happy, full and satisfied.  Now if I can just figure out a way to make another mock side out of protein.... Anyone out there have any suggestions? 


1 comment:

  1. Woow! I love potatoes, so I've tried this recipe, and imagine it's very delicious and healthy also.

    ReplyDelete