Thursday, November 29, 2012

If only booze had zero calories (miles for beer)...

My biggest problem with my diet is my social calories.  I'm a social drinker.  The issue with this is that I'm very social.  Haha.  No, that is not my way of justifying a drinking problem  I'm a 29 year old single female who enjoys the company of her friends.  Yes, you can argue I can find plenty of things to do where alcohol is not involved, but the truth of the matter is my friends and I like to have a few beers and watch the game (football, basketball, and hockey - please come back NHL).   We like to attend events such as summer concerts, baseball games, and Oktoberfest.  We will go out to celebrate promotions and birthdays and commiserate during break-ups and lay-offs.

I know I can find amazingly fun options that don't involve hitting the bottle and there are many days I go out with my friends and one of us, including myself, decide they are abstaining from adult beverages for the evening.  It does not escape from the fact that I realistically will booze it up with my friends after sacrificing the whole day with veggie egg white omelettes and carrot sticks.

It's not just the boozing that makes it difficult to make healthy choices when you are 29 and single.  Actually, this applies to anyone at any age...  It's hard to remain on a diet while being social when food or drinks are involved.  There are bbqs, group dinner parties, and dates.

One recent example comes to mind.  I invited a couple of my good guy friends over to watch The Big Lebowski with me (one had not yet seen it, and he's totally the dude!).  Trying to be a good host I offered up a frozen pizza for my boys.  I like being able to serve food and beverages, I feel it's all part of being a good host.  Although, I wanted skip the pizza and be healthy, I did not want them to feel bad for making a pizza for them if I wasn't having any myself.  I know I should not feel guilty for eating a slice of pizza but at the same time, that is just one of many example I feel I'm forced to eat unhealthy options.

This happens several times, and not only on a one off basis.  Other times we will be out to eat and everyone wants to order wings or pizza to share, I know I can simply decline and wait to eat at home, but I do not want to be the only one refusing food.  I know it's a choice I make and I can go out with my friends and not drink or not eat.  But I enjoy doing it.

Trying to eat healthy should not be punishment.  I should be able to participate in things I love while not feeling like an outsider.  At the same time I do not want to feel the guilt or shame for my actions... So for the month of December I am enacting miles for beer.  For every adult beverage I consumer I pledge to run one mile in the following week.  I'm either going to have to cut back on my drinking or I'll be at marathon training level faster than I planned.  I'm fine with either

I'll keep you updated on my progress!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I know, when I stumbled upon the Chilly Challenge I knew I had to pick your team just because you had a "Drink Up" section in your blog. I love working hard when it comes to fitness just as long as I get to play hard! It's fate!

    ReplyDelete